Saturday, July 11, 2009

Running of the Bulls

Study group: Keith, Kathy, me, Susana, Eliana
Paella Valencian....Yummmm!

Yesterday some of my classmates went to Pamplona to witness the running of the bulls - and one friend of mine decided to run. I am anxiously waiting for them to return and hear all about their time, and if my friend actually ended up running.

I have watched the running of the bulls on TV for the past three days now, and it is the craziest thing ever. Why people would want to put their lives in danger like that is beyond me. I have been told that most of the people who run have been training to do this all year, and they are considered "expert" runners. Hmm.....

I mentioned a few posts ago that right now we're in San Fermin (Running of the Bulls) season. Some of you may know that yesterday a man died after being gored by a bull. I have learned a lot about this festival, and it is quite interesting: The Festival de San Fermin happens every July in Pamplona, Spain, and lasts for 8 days - is to commemorate a saint. Every morning, at 8:00, six different fierce bulls and nine "regular" bulls (steers) are released from a pen to run the same route to the bullring. They have been running the same route for that hundreds of years. As the bulls run through the streets, thousands of people watch and/or run with them at different segments of the route, almost as if to herd the bulls into the bullring. The black bulls are the fierce ones, and the lighter colored ones are the steers. The fierce bulls are raised specifically for this festival - they run in the morning and then die in the bullfight in the afternoon. The next day, six new fierce bulls run and fight, and so on. The steers do not die, as they are not part of the bullfight. The bullfight happens each day of the festival in the evening - 3 different matadors take on 2 bulls each. The meat from the bulls is then sold for consumption.

Oh the things I'm learning in Spain! :) Today was a study day. Some friends and I went down to the Plaza area to have lunch and study. Yesterday I also ate lunch at the Plaza and had a wonderful paella - the "traditional" Spanish dish. I love paella. Oh! And today I went to H&M and bought a shirt - yes, they have an H&M here... and a Sephora and Claire's! :) Tonight, it's more studying, and rest because tomorrow we have another "excursión," which means more WALKING!!! Just three weeks left...

No comments:

Post a Comment