Sunday, June 27, 2010

Good morning Salamanca!

The last couple of days feel like a blur.  Due to my flight delays, I ended up travelling for 24-hours straight, and I didn't sleep.  I figured that by the time I went to bed last night at 1 a.m. Spain time, I had only slept 1 hour in the last 35.  I'm still kind of groggy, but so thankful for a nice air-conditioned room to sleep in last night - thank you Hall 88 Apartahotel! 

It is nice to be back here in Salamanca though. Driving in last night I was reminded of why I do love this city so much.  Along the highway we passed the city of Avila, which I visited last year, and the walls were all lit up looking so fortress-like in the dark.

Then as we entered Salamanca, which is something I've never done at night before, I was greeted with the beautifully familiar site of the Cathedrals and then I remembered why I love being here.  Everything is just so OLD and stunning - it's great!

Now it is 12:30 p.m. and I am sipping my itsy-bitsy cup of coffee and eating my tortilla española.  Lunch won't be served at any restaurant until at least 2:00, at which time all the shops will close until about 5:00 for siesta time.  Move-in time at the residence hall is also 5:00 p.m., so for now I will wander. I am on the hunt today for an electric kettle - or anything that will boil water.  Wish me luck! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment